Development Director, Multifamily
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Multifamily, the Development Director will manage multifamily development projects from initial project conception through delivery and transition to operations. Projects range from traditional ground-up developments to the redevelopment and repositioning of multifamily assets in key markets. In collaboration with the team, this person will manage the planning, pro-forma modeling and underwriting, and overall project management for a portfolio of multifamily projects in multiple markets. The projects will span a range of types that could include garden, midrise, and high-rise projects, and scope ranging from smaller-scale kitchen and bath renovations, corridor and amenity upgrades all the way to larger-scale asset renovations and ground-up development.
- Partner with the Multifamily SVP on varied projects throughout the country.
- Collaborate effectively with other business leaders across the organization to drive projects to successful completion.
- Actively manage all aspects of the development process, including but not limited to feasibility, financial analysis and underwriting, market research, demographic studies, entitlement and required governmental approvals, oversight of design (site, engineering, landscape, architectural plans), and investment committee approval in close collaboration with the SVP.
- Review and approve all phases of plans (schematic, design development, and construction drawings).
- Assist with the selection and management of the general contractor, both during the design and construction phases to ensure successful preconstruction planning and execution of complex projects.
- Partner with operations team to ensure a successful transition of the project from construction to lease-up and stabilization.
- Partner with internal entities to assist with investor reporting.
Critical Success Factors:
- Successful track record in developing and/or redeveloping multifamily and mixed-use projects.
- Ability to work independently to manage multiple projects but knows when to ask for support if needed.
- Collaborative approach to build professional relationships internally and externally.
- Proactive communicator not only with senior leadership on the status and critical project issues but also with all levels of internal and external partners, customers, etc.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in multitasking and prioritization of projects, tasks, and issues.
- Honed business acumen and pragmatism.
- Experience motivating and leading through influence and working with strong personalities.
- 5+ years of experience leading ground-up development projects and/or large-scale repositioning and redevelopment projects.
- Multifamily, mixed-use, hospitality, and/or condo development experience.
- Strong working knowledge of development, construction, and multifamily operations.
- Proven background in managing projects from inception to completion.
- Strong project management background, including a track record of successfully meeting budget and schedule.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in business or a real estate-related field preferred.
- Investment Management
- Project Management
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job